Ocean View Drive
Located within the Cape Cod National Seashore, Nauset Light is one of the most famous lighthouses on the east coast. Originally built in 1877, it was moved to Eastham from Chatham in 1923 to replace the remaining Three Sisters Light. The upper portion of the beacon was painted red in 1940, to distinguish it from Highland and Chatham Lights. Nauset Light was in danger of being lost to erosion and in 1993, the Coast Guard proposed decommissioning the light. The light was saved, however, by the Nauset Light Preservation Society, which financed a project to move the light farther inland. The move was finally completed in 1996. This working lighthouse is visible 17 miles out to sea. On Sundays during Spring, Summer, and Fall, and on Wednesdays in July & August, you can tour inside the lighthouse and climb to the top. For more information please visit www.nausetlight.org.
Olde Eastham Windmill
2515 State Highway
Located on the Town Green at Route 6 and Samoset Road (across from Town Hall), the Eastham Windmill was originally constructed by Thomas Paine in Plymouth in 1680. The structure was moved to Eastham in 1793, this windmill is the oldest working historical windmill on Cape Cod, and is still occasionally used to grind corn. Virtual Windmill Tour (Video credit: Mike Caliri, Town of Eastham)
In July & August the miller opens the windmill Monday – Saturdays 10 am – 5 pm, Sundays 1 pm – 5 pm.
Old Coast Guard Station
Doane Road at Ocean View Drive
Since the early years of the Pilgrims, the Outer Beach of Cape Cod was known as the notorious “graveyard of ships” In 1871, the United States Congress appropriated funds for 9 life saving stations along the outer shores. The Nauset Station was built in 1937 and currently stands overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, being used as an education center.
Three Sisters Lighthouses
Located 1/2 mile from Nauset Light Beach on Cable Road. In 1837, a lighthouse station was established at Nauset Beach – halfway between the single light at Highland, and the twins at Chatham. To distinguish the Nauset Station, a keeper’s house and three small towers of brick were constructed 150 feet apart. Two towers were taken out of service in 1911 and the third was replaced in 1923 with the “New Nauset Light”. In 1975, the National Park Service purchased all of the Three Sisters Lights and conducted a $510,000 restoration that was completed on September 7, 1989. The Three Sisters now rest together and can be viewed with a short walk from Nauset Light Beach.
Site of the “First Encounter”
Samoset Road at First Encounter Beach
The beach at First Encounter was the site of the first meeting between the Nauset Indians and the Pilgrims. After stopping at Provincetown and not finding enough fresh water, the Pilgrims moved on to Eastham. In Eastham, they met the Nauset Indians and had a skirmish. This was the “First Encounter” between the two groups. The meeting is commemorated by a plaque at the approximate location of the meeting. This is also one of the most beautiful beaches in Eastham. The stone with the commemoration is located at the left side of the parking lot just on the sand.
Doane Road at Pinecrest Drive
Doane Rock Is the largest exposed glacial boulder on Cape Cod, standing 18 feet high, and is named after John Doane, one of Easthams’ earliest settlers. Further down Pinecrest is the Doane Memorial marking the site of the original homestead of one of Eastham’s founding fathers, Deacon John Doane.
There is a small parking area and seasonal picnic area. Information from the National Seashore is accessible here.
French Cable Hut
The French Cable Company sent the first transatlantic cable from an its main station in Orleans, via a cable located in this small, unassuming hut, located near Nauset Beach Light in Eastham. The cable was discontinued in 1932, this hut became a residence, and later became the property of the National Park Service. *NRHP
For more information click here
*National Register of Historic Places